Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Banana Cream Pie to Die for!

While I’m in the mode of Pie Crusts, I might as well put this recipe in. I made this for Thanksgiving last year. Now if I ever make a pumpkin pie for anything or am stressing about a dessert for a big dinner, my husband always asks why don’t you make that Banana Cream Pie. Seriously this is probably his favorite pie ever! I got the recipe from Real Mom Kitchen. I love her recipes too! Here’s a link to the actual recipe on her site, but I’ll put it on here as well. So easy & sooo yummy! I used my premade crust from Pioneer Woman.

Banana Cream Pie

  • 1 4-serving size box of instant chocolate or vanilla pudding (I did vanilla)
  • 1 c. cold water
  • 1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 prepared pie crusts (You choose–regular, graham cracker, Nilla Wafer, shortbread, even Oreo. I used regular -Marie Callendar’s frozen crust- for the banana and oreo for the chunky monkey)
  • 6 bananas, sliced
  • 2 cups whipping cream, divided
  • 1/4 c. powdered sugar
  • dash of vanilla
  1. In a large bowl combine the pudding, water, and condensed milk. Mix on low speed for 2 minutes; place in fridge to chill for a few minutes.
  2. In another bowl, whip 1 c. of whipping cream until soft peaks form.
  3. Remove pudding mixture from fridge. Add whipped cream to the pudding and gently fold in.
  4. Spoon a little of the pudding mixture into each pie crust, just enough to coat the bottom of the pie crust. Layer each cust with banana slices and top each pie with remaining pudding mixture.
  5. Whip remaining 1 cup cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla until thick and fluffy. Spread on top of pie. Garnish with additional banana slices if desired. Refrigerate several hours before serving.

Chunky Monkey Pie Version

Blend 1/2 c creamy peanut butter into the pudding/water/sweetened condensed milk in step 1 above. (I used an oreo crust. and divided the pudding/water/milk mixture. Then blended 1/4 cup peanut butter into one of the pudding mixtures before putting in the fridge. Thus allowing one banana cream pie and one chunky monkey pie. I personally do think the peanut butter would taste better if you used chocolate pudding instead of the vanilla, but that’s just my preference)

All those notes in there are from Real Mom Kitchen. We didn’t do the Chunky Monkey version, although I’m sure we’ll give it a try before long.

No comments: